Tuesday 1 July 2008

'Tis The Season To Be Jolly



Well, if by 'jolly' you really mean 'gay'. No, it isn't Christmas, it is the height of summer and the time for all things Pride related. The real biggie of course is the London Pride march and rally this Saturday. As usual the Pink Singers wll be on stage and we are performing just after 3pm. It is interesting that we will be sharing the same stage as Boris - he who hath quoth negative things about our community in the past - but stranger things have happened, and perhaps a sudden realization, and political expediency, have caused this fundamental shift. Sufficeth to say that at least the leopard has changed his spots.

We're doing just two songs this Saturday - Son Of A Preacher Man and Forever Motown, a medley of Motown Classics. They are fun, and upbeat, and should go down well with the crowd. I am not overtly political, and am convinced that to a certain extent we have moved on from the gay dark ages just a decade ago, but part of me does wonder whether we could be doing something a little less frothy and a little more meaningful. Then again, I guess the crowds in Trafalgar Square are showing a sense of solidarity, something that is much needed in a time when parts of the Church of England are breaking away (in all but name) based on the "gay agenda". I mean really, if all the so-called gay agenda means is seeking equality then sign me up!

The other Pride event I'm taking part in is the London Pride Run which happens on Saturday the 16th of August. Since joining the Frontrunners about 6 months ago (see previous posts) I have actually felt the health benefits of going for my bi- or tri-weekly jogs. In fact, this is a good chance to combine my love of the Pink Singers with my love of the Frontrunner - I'm trying to get a team together for the run. Thankfully this is made slightly easier by the fact that this is not a sponsored run (no canvassing required) and all the monies raised goes to Stonewall. Wow, I'm feeling leaner and more virtuous already!

No comments: