Saturday 19 May 2007

Man, I'm Knackered!

Whew! Just got back from the basses' event South Side Story which was a treasure hunt along the South Bank. Thankfully, despite rather inclement weather in the last week, the sun decided to make a welcome appearance, and it was actually quite warm. We had a very civilized start at 11.30 a.m., met in the gardens of Southwark Cathedral and set off with a bang.

I will say that our first clue was relatively easy, but after we had spent the first hour getting to clue five (of thirteen) the busy week leading up to this event took its toll. So when a very friendly tea shop beckoned Simon, Ben, Liang, Julia and I took the chance to have a leisurely lunch. Thereafter Julia and Ben had other things to do, so our numbers were decimated, and with a full tummy and the warm sunshine, my brain had started to shut down!

The clues were progressively cryptic and while there were some lovely paths which I had not taken before, we had to drop several of the answers. Unfortunately, I didn't get to chat with Pinkies on other teams either apart from Emelda and Hester in the crypt at St. Paul's, and Andrew F on the phone. By the time we reached Oxo tower, all I wanted to do was go home have a cup of tea and a biscuit. Three hours in, we did ran into a couple of the teams outside St. Thomas' hospital, and I'm afraid my resolve just cracked and I threw in the towel. What a wuss!

Did get back for a well-deserved pint of Samuel Smith wheat beer at my local, the Yorkie Grey. A great big thanks to the basses though, for arranging an energetic afternoon out. I'm pooped!

No comments: