Tuesday 5 February 2008

Various Voices - In At The Deep End

The last concert was a wonderful success if we say so ourselves. All the members of the audience I spoke to loved our opening number of "Dies Irae" by Karl Jenkins. It was rhythmic, fast, exciting - a very much in your face number which hit just the right note. Other particularly memorable songs for me were "Come What May" and "Hymne A L'amour". Now we find ourselves taking a well earned rest but I for one am raring to go. I'm really looking forward to the new season with the addition of "Introit" to the Jenkins songs we're singing as well as a number of other new songs.

Of course yours truly hasn't been resting on his laurels. I've volunteered my services to Various Voices and attended my first meeting with them in January. True to form I suggested producing a video as a trailer and promotion for Various Voices to be uploaded to youtube with links from other sites. I'm glad to say that the committee was keen on the idea so I will be working with Emily to produce this over the next few weeks. I'm very much hoping that the Pinkies will be a part of the video as I see no better platform to promote ourselves for this event in 2009. As I joined the Pinkies in 2005, I just missed the last Various Voices which was held in Paris. By all accounts it was an amazing event with choirs from all over the world celebrating our joy of singing with each other. So I'm very much looking forward to 2009 when London will host the next event. The Various Voices committee is full of interesting and dedicated people who are working hard to make this a success. The organisation started nearly 2 years ago and as everyone is a volunteer it just goes to show how much this means to all of us. Much work has been done but much remains to be done. As a newbie to the group I found myself volunteering to do a presentation at the West London LGBT meeting in January - talk about jumping into at the deep end... Thankfully one of the more established members came with me to lend some support and I'm glad to say that it all went smoothly. It's also very encouraging to know that external groups are interested in our activities and will try to help if they can. With the event scheduled to be held in The South Bank, there can be no better venue for this. Sometimes I feel a bit daunted by all that remains to be done but I feel sure that it will be a big success - a chance to celebrate, enjoy, sing and meet new friends.

While on this break from rehearsals, I'm taking the chance to travel to Malaysia and Singapore for a wee rest. It's Chinese New Year this week so the place will be a riot of colours, noise and festivities. It's an exciting time to be visiting South East Asia. I'm rather glad to escape the cold and wet of UK though anyone who knows Malaysia will tell you that it's wetter here. Difference is that it doesn't usually drizzle all day and stay damp for weeks on end. We just have heavy downpours followed by bright sunshine minutes later.

Roll on February and here's to our first rehearsal on 24 Feb.

No comments: