Thursday 12 June 2008

The Super-anos

Well, I was working late on Tuesday, but instead of my usual commute home followed by crashing out on the sofa, I decided to test my brain cell a little by going to the Pinkies quiz night at the Black Cap. It was expertly organized by the sopranos, and MCed expertly by Emelda, who mixed her dry wit with some of the fairly ludicrous questions to great acclaim.

Of course I arrived late, but by the time I got there it was already fairly busy. I was roped into Mel's team with Sally Ann, Liang, Philip R and a bunch of Mel's friends. They were actaully rather good, and despite my tardiness I think I acquitted my self nicely with my encyclopaedic knowledge of Star Wars, Star Trek and Nintendo video games. Er... perhaps I shouldn't be too proud of that! In the end my team actually won, oh novelty! Of course Gill P's team of just three people were neck and neck with us all the way, and probably should have won if it weren't for the fact that my team was nearly three times their numbers!

It was also great to see most of the Pink Singers out on a school night. I am presuming that most people either have a relaxed dress policy at work, or they had a chance to go home to get changed, because there were quite a number of people dressed in nothing but T-shirts and shorts in the hot weather. I love the summer, people look so much sexier and our choir is blessed with quite a few photogenic members. I'll name names if pressed!

The quiz itself was followed by the mandatory karaoke session. I love singing, and I love karaoke, but when it comes to performing on a stage in front of people I just chicken out. Thankfully there were people like the amazing Keri who took up the challenge. I already know Keri has an amazing voice - at least year's choir weekend away she dazzled us all with her range and repertoire - but it didn't stop me being impressed hearing her sing Bjork's It's So Quiet. Liang ang a song just before I left, but the sweetest moment of the night must have been when the Pink Singers got up behind Gwen, a more mature regular at the karaoke night, to sing Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

Fun was had by all - I can't wait until the altos' event!

No comments: