Wednesday 5 November 2008

From Bass To Soprano

I have always sung tenor voice, initially by default since there weren't enough tenors in my choir before the Pink Singers, and then because it really is the range I am most comfortable in. The upper tenors are honestly a bit of a stretch for me and I do find getting to an A or B flat in head voice a real struggle, especially if I do not yet know the notes and am having to think about it. All in all though, on a good day I think my range spans a comfortable two octaves from chest voice to head voice, with an additional octave in falsetto.

Some people, however, have ranges of four or even five octaves as this article in the BBC about Yma Sumac suggests.

Such a range is so unusual because the human voice is very limited and we use only a small part of it. This makes it very difficult to expand the vocal range and articulate such high notes.

Exploiting the range we do have comes down to physical aspects, like body structure, the length of vocal cords, technique and psychological attitude.


What I like is how they quote a vocal coach as saying that some people have "a fear of using their voice". I can attest to that on a Sunday when we sing, "Angels and archangels may have gathered there" in Mid-winter. I generally just chicken out and go to falsetto. Perhaps I'll work up the courage to sing it normally one day!

P.S. If you're wondering why there is a dearth of posts it is because I'm in the U.S. Congratulations Obama!

No comments: