Monday 26 February 2007

I Was Wrong

Okay, I admit it, my earlier post on how I thought Beautiful was boring was somewhat off the mark. I always forget how four part harmonies can change a song. Even though it was everyone's second crack at the arrangement, and my first, there was an ethereal quality to it. It was all quite moving, and I can see the song becoming one of the popular numbers in our repertoire.

Rehearsal yesterday was great. We kicked off with a voice workshop with a rather attractive young soprano from the Royal Academy of Music. Although most of the skills she taught us are already fairly well known to us, it is always useful to have it said in a different way, with a different emphasis. I especially liked how she encouraged us to let our guts hang out when we inspire - I know it is beneficial, but from a purely vain point of view, it goes against everything I hold dear!

The other tips I thought were good were that every musical phrase has a start and and end, and you have to think about how you are going to travel with the notes along that past. And she didn't just mean legato. We also had an exercise to practice singing bel canto. Oo-er. I'm coming over all Italian.

I wonder what Arnaldo would say about that!

No comments: