Tuesday 6 March 2007

Bad Logo Design

They are knocking down the Middlesex Hospital, and all residents of Fitzrovia have been sent an invitation to see the plans for the new building. I had a free moment just after lunch yesterday, so I went down with Beryl, who lives in one of the lower flats. The exhibition itself was interesting, but what caught my eye was the logo of the development company, called Candy & Candy.

What do you see through the peep hole? Candy and even more candy no doubt. In my view it was a very bad design choice. Perhaps it doesn't rank as highly on the all time list of worst possible logos, but I still think it is pretty awful.

What are the worst logos ever? Well, here we have the Arlington Paediatric Center's logo, and the Institute of Oriental Studies at the Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil. These designs are so bad they are almost legendary. In comparison, the Pink Singers logo is a paradigm of elegant understatement. I think it works very well precisely because it is so simple. There is some discussion about a possible update or even replacement, but I will be sorry to see it go as I think it is a strong identity for us.

No comments: