Friday 9 March 2007

Michael's Laptop Is Go!

I met up with Michael this afternoon. He had gone to see a performance at the Royal Opera and after that we got together at the PC World in Tottenham Court Road. Although he was quite happy to go with whatever I suggested to him, I thought it best that he at least have a look at the hardware before plonking down the cash on a laptop.

As it turns out he was quite happy with the size and weight of the computer and so we went back to my flat and bought it on line. To be honest I would have bought it from PC World if they sold it with Windows XP, but as it was Vista-only there, I was worried about compatibility with the music software and drivers Michael will be using.

Michael has some really exciting ideas of what he will be using his synthesizer and new laptop for. Quite apart from simplifying the production of rehearsal tracks, it will also mean that for performances he will no longer be limited to the piano sound. Now that we are tackling an even wider repertoire, he is interested in using everything from strings, to bass, to guitar, to whatever you can imagine.

I must say that I am thrilled with anything which makes our performances more interesting and dynamic. Different instruments will add an extra dimension to our stage presence, but will take a bit of getting used to!

No comments: